After all this ‘proper’ drawing mularky, I felt the need to do some vector work! Inspired by this Sankyo Super CM 300 ( - a super 8 – just repaired and awaiting for a roll of film to test it!) I made some reference photographs and decided to begin with an orthographic projection – sides, top, bottom front and back views, and possibly a three-quarter view to follow.
I began by taking a few measurements and drawing the outer shape:
Like the body, I used the shape tools – rectangles and ellipses and the pathfinder tools. I decided to add a little curvature here – a true orthographic projection would show the lens side on – without any angle, but I guess a bit of artistic licence can be taken here – I can always change it later if it doesn’t look right.
All the main parts and the key lines of the details were created using the same process:
Untill I finished up with a decent line image.
I think that the lens works well too. There is a little unfinished area around the push button on the handle. This has been deliberately left to be resolved later – I will be making a handle up/down illustration and need to keep this area flexible enough for when I assemble all the parts together. I can use much of this drawing for the other side – reflecting it horizontally and replacing the details.
And now its time to get the details sorted and refine the line qualities.
I couldn’t help getting carried away into the tonal work though. Just a test for now as I may find better ways as I work on the other views…
A couple of days have passed since I last worked on this illustration and on reflection I was a little premature with my tonal work. I had worked purely in shades of grey without really thinking but on closer inspection there is more warmth overall, and some variations between the different metals and the plastic.
The next attempt was on a side view, and I ended up over-compensating the colour – this looks far too rich on the lens, but I can tone it down as I build up the tones elsewhere. The lens has gained the illusion of form through the careful use of gradient fills:
Even the screws got the full treatment!
And then onto the detail panels, which were built up in stages…
I am very pleased with the results – as well as using the photographic reference, I was also studying the camera itself and made quite a few small adjustments get the details just right…
And at the end of this session I have a fairly convincing image emerging: