So it’s been a while since I posted anything I’d made or experimented with, but it has been a busy start to the new academic year; lots of new changes, lots of new students (hello first years!) Well, if you are a regular here, you will know that I’ve renovated a nipping press and entered a book into a competition, as well as having a stinking cold (not swine flu, utter rotter flu or venezuelan beaver thrush!) but I think I can be excused from a lack of general creative activity!
So what else have I been doing? Well, I’ve been making a few books; normal and unusual, learning some new stitching skills and techniques along the way. I was intending to a general overview here, with about half a dozen images, but once I sat down and looked at the images I had taken I decided to shown you one project at a time. So here is the first:
This book has wooden cover boards attached by cords laced through, with the text block bound over the cords. This was a tricky job without a sewing frame, but I managed ok in the end with only a few new swear words coined!
The boards were a bit scuffed in places so I decided to make some decorative panels. These were made from strips of pages from and old hymn book I had bought to use the cover for on another project, ripped up and soaked in water and PVA to make a sort of papiér maché.
These strips were laid out into a new sheet and left to dry.
They were then trimmed to fit and glued on. I popped the book into the press overnight (the first thing in!!!!!!!!!) to flatten and ensure a good fix.
I love the way this type of binding opens and exposes the cords between the covers and sections. It is a very visible structure, but appears very delicate between the thicker boards…
It also opens very flat, wherever you open it…