Earlier this week my eagerly awaited christmas present to myself (bought with money sent as gifts from my wonderful in-laws) arrived. I have been bidding on some woodtype sets for the past month but getting outbid each time, just over my self-imposed limit. I call this the Yorkshire limit – up to £X’s but much less if possible! I set the limit after a bit of research and checking out the going rate and decide what I’m willing to pay, including postage. Not a penny over. I was disappointed to be outbid the last time as the characters were a little larger and hand cut, even if they contained only A-Z.
Another search and I found these with a couple of days to go. So around mid afternoon last friday, I became the proud owner of a fine set of wood type in a handsome bold grotesque. Some are unused and there are plenty of vowels and common charcters. It will after christmas before I will get printing with these, but expect to see some typographic tomfoolery before the year is out!