I have stripped down the little press, cleaned away years of accumulated gunk and stuff, de-greased and re-greased, made bits move which had long since given up, got rid of a little surface rust and made a baseboard. I’ve also made new a new lay gauge but not quite got that finished yet. I took it into college today and showed it off to my students who were (possibly, just a little) impressed and had a pump at the handle to make the ratchet ‘ding’ on the ink plate. I had set some type up in the little chase too, ready to set up the bed with the adjusting screws…
Ok, I couldn’t wait until the weekend. I had to have a proper go – ink and all – even if I hadn’t got everything as ready as I wanted (there are still a couple of bits still not quite as ‘working’ as I’d like). I figured that a quick test print or two would help me in getting it set up properly, and see if the rollers were in good enough condition to print from.
So I inked up and had a go. Sorry, but I was a bit too inky to photograph the process, but I will next time. I didn’t get any good prints, but I did get some that were really promising!
The rollers seem to be ok for now, and I have got a decent level on the chase. A bit more ink next time too. All I need to do now is to get my b****y typesetting skills sorted!
I can tell you though, that I have used 36pt Franklin Gothic Bold with 36pt Mercury Light. I can’t imagine what I will do with scripts like this – I have several, along with some copperplate scripts and a bunch of Frakturs… I will definitely have a play with them first!