Following my initial ideas and developments of a new asemic script, I made a symbol from parts of the lines I had established previously:
I had a notion that this looked a little ‘uncial’ but was quite encouraged by this – it would be interesting to see if this falls into line or whether I can corrupt and push it further.
Uncial scripts are are early Latin and Greek styles from the 3rd to 8th centuries and can be identified by their rounded structures and flowing strokes:
I put together a set of pieces culled from those initial figures:
With these I began to look for natural alignments and flow:
I composed a few more ‘characters’ and introduced a horizontal stroke. I say horizontal very loosely.
And went back to the first test character, making a number of variations on the theme:
After putting these characters together in different orders, I came across an awkward meeting that didn’t look calligraphic:
And created a more natural union that suggests a tight loop that might naturally occur in the flow of writing. This presented a new set of possibilities; characters with different terminals dependent upon, say their position in a word or line, as well as proximity to other specific characters. Hmm.
At this point I went into overdrive, trying lots of component parts and considering joins, combinations and ligatures. This is what my working file looked like:
and what I have produced so far is looking encouraging. The top shows the fine monoline, the middle a 10pt monoline and at the bottom the custom 20pt calligraphic stroke.
Ok. I have some basic structures. It’s really time to see what happens and where these may lead…