Once all the pages had been completed and printed, the next stage of assembly could begin. This included trimming and folding first, then came the tipping-in of the additional parts. This was a time consuming and repetitive task that required a production line approach in order to keep track of everything!
I then retrieved the covers I made a while back. These have been stored under light pressure, out of the way of the younger Lestarets and the dog, who can usually find the most important items to slobber on or chew.This was the reason I made the paste papers – to use as endpapers on this project! These were carefully creased and folded prior to the next stage.
The image above shows a stack of assembled innards opposite their folded covers. In-between stands my working copy – I always make one up first to check everything is right and make final decisions on the sewing.
The innards an covers required stations piercing to guide the sewing. This was done using my home-made pricking cradle and a card template with a bookbinding awl. I used a red linen thread and left about half an inch spare after the tie off: